Monday, August 06, 2007

Hiroshima book


Tonight, 62 years after the atomic bombing I read Hiroshima [wikipedia] by John Hersey [wikipedia]. It follows the lives of six survivors of the bombing. It was published, in its entirety, in the August 31, 1946 edition of The New Yorker magazine. This edition is from 1983 and there are later copies that have a 5th section in addition to the original 1946 essay that detail Hersey's travels to Japan to see what became of the six people profiled in the book. Hersey died in 1993, so I'm wondering what edition, since mine is the 18th. The story is sad and graphic in places. Every August I tend to think about the bombings.

I've not gone out to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum [Official site, wikipedia] in a long time, but as I remember, the Virtual Museum was very well done.

No comments: