Saturday, April 21, 2007

My first 24-Hour Short Story - Day One

After speaking with Darren last week, lamenting my desire to write, I entered the Writer's Weekly Spring '07 24-Hour Short Story Contest, at his suggestion. Darren entered it back in Fall of '05 and posted his entry to his blog. We talked about the winning story in the Winter '06 contest. I thought it was too much like the Warner Bros. cartoons that parody Of Mice and Men.
The morning of the contest, The daughter went over to a friend's house while I went to an optometrist visit. I may get glasses for all the time wear - possibly no-line bi-focals. I'm glad I didn't have the OD dilate my eyes as it would take 6 hours to recover and I was driving alone. Plus I was going to write later in the day. I headed home to check my email and was going to pick up the daughter by 4:30 PM.

I didn't get the story stub in email, so I went out the site and found it. Here's the stub:

She could hear the buoy bell ringing in the distance but it was too dark to see anything beyond the receding foamy water. She shivered as the wind picked up, knowing a late-season Nor'easter would hit in the next few hours, and knowing this was her last chance. She raised her arm and threw the glass bottle into the darkness...

I read it over quickly and then I began to work up the story. I ended up not getting it completed Saturday which was a big mistake.

(written 4/27/2007; back-dated 4/21/07)

No comments: