Thursday, January 19, 2006

Third Week of Miyazaki

Tonight at 8pm Turner Classic Movies ran a set of three more Miyazaki films:

  • My Neighbor Totoro (1988) [Amazon]
  • Porco Rosso (1992) [Amazon]
  • Whisper of the Heart (2000) [Amazon]
All were in letterbox and dubbed in English. These will be reran, again in letterbox and Japanese with English subtitles tonight. I was quite surprised to see Totoro. I knew that it was close to release (March 7, 2006) and didn't think that they would run it. There was a "TCM" watermark in the corner at 45 minutes into the show and again 63 minutes. The picture was wonderful, but I'm not crazy about the dub. I'm used to the version from 20th Century Fox [Amazon]. It's Full Screen and dubbed, but I'm so used to it. I suppose that I could get David to create a widescreen version using my preferred soundtrack.

I watched just a bit of Porco Rosso, it looks good. I knew nothing about it. This was released on DVD back on 2/22/2005.

I'd heard of Whisper of the Heart, but not thought about it much. It too is not released yet but will come out with My Neighbor Totoro.

(Written on 1/19/2006; no need to backdate.)

No comments: